APA INFORMATION HOTLINE
This is APA Communications Director Gregg Overman with the APA Information Hotline for Wednesday, Dec. 14.
APA BOARD OF DIRECTORS FALL MEETING: The APA Board of Directors reconvened at 9 a.m. at union headquarters in Fort Worth for the continuation of its fall meeting.
Scheduling Committee Chairman CA Dave Quinlan briefed the board on management's plans to implement the 52-week vacation schedule, continued PBS implementation with parallel bidding in January for DFW and LGA and February for LAX and MIA, Mutual Base Exchange-related issues, and the APA Negotiating Committee's proposed framework for a long-term Trip Trade System.
Special guest Brigadier General George L. Schulstad (Ret.) presented the Order of Daedalians 2015 Lieutenant General Harold L. George-Civilian Airmanship Award to CA Michael Schatz and FO Brian Stefany for "the most outstanding ability, judgment and/or heroism above and beyond normal operational requirements during the preceding calendar year." On Feb. 9, 2015, on American Airlines Flight 1825 operated by US Airways, CA Schatz and FO Stefany made an emergency landing at IAH after the nose gear did not deploy on their Embraer 190. In accepting the award and trophy, CA Schatz said, "It shows that in our industry today, whether you use an airplane to protect the freedoms of this country or you use an aircraft to exercise the freedoms of this country as an airline pilot, not only can we do this job day in and day out when everything goes right, we can do this job and have a good outcome when things go wrong." FO Stefany was unable to attend the ceremony. Congratulations are in order for CA Schatz and FO Stefany. We salute you for making us all proud.
The board spent a portion of the day in executive session and also voted to approve the following:
- A motion to select CA Carl Jackson as the board representative to the Safety Award for Excellence Committee.
- A motion to waive policy and elect CA Kerry Burklow to the Benefits Review and Appeals Board.
- A motion to elect FO Brian Bell as Chairman of the Retirement & Benefits Committee.
- A motion to waive policy and elect FO Shawn Gray as Chairman of the Government Affairs Committee.
- A motion to waive policy and elect CA Dennis Tajer as Chairman of the Communications Committee.
- A motion to waive policy and elect FO Doug Hancock as Chairman of the Family Awareness Committee.
- A motion to adopt R2016-26 Rev. 1, Article VII - Continuation of Sitting Appeal Board Members.
- A motion to adopt R2016-47 Rev. 3, Business Meals.
- A motion to adopt R2016-51 Rev. 1, BOD Steering Committee.
- A motion to adopt R2016-62, Prescription Drug Claim Processing Changes Under the Coverage of the Retiree Health Benefit Plan.
R2016-11, "Disclosure of All Motion and Resolution Disposition to Membership," which the board previously voted to approve, amended the APA Policy Manual Section 1.06 to specify that APA will include in its daily board meeting updates information regarding "main motions and resolutions which are defeated, postponed, referred, and laid on the table." In accordance with this resolution, this hotline message includes a synopsis of today's session reflecting all main motions and resolutions that the board addressed.
The board recessed shortly before 5 p.m. and will reconvene at 9 a.m. tomorrow. The meeting is scheduled to continue through tomorrow afternoon.
CALL TO ACTION — NORWEGIAN AIR INTERNATIONAL: If you have not yet done so, we strongly encourage you to send a message to President-elect Trump, Vice President-elect Pence, your U.S. Senators and your U.S. Representative: The DOT's decision regarding Norwegian Air International must not stand. Left unchecked, large numbers of good, middle-class American jobs will be destroyed and the U.S. airline industry will be crippled.
That's it for now. Thanks for checking this hotline.